The CMA has announced an investigation into cloud gaming and browsers following a market study published in June and consultation with industry stakeholders.
On Tuesday, November 22nd, the CMA published a decision document outlining their case for a full market investigation. The potential remedies noted by the CMA (in paragraph 3.38) are as follows:
- removing Apple’s restrictions on competing browser engines on iOS devices;
- mandating access to certain functionality for browsers (including supporting web apps);
- requiring Apple and Google to provide equal access to functionality through APIs for rival browsers;
- requirements that make it more straightforward for users to change the default browser within their device settings;
- choice screens to overcome the distortive effects of pre-installation; and
- requiring Apple to remove its App Store restrictions on cloud gaming services.
MOW is drafting a response based on these remedies.
Header image courtesy of Creative Commons (licensed for free under the Creative Commons free license).